Cases of frauds and foreign in banks have not only become incessant but have also been on the increase in recent years. Although frauds and foreign in banks are global phenomena, their growth in Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporations (NDIC) annual report for instance, presents a disturbing picture of rising trends of fraud in banks from N360.2 million in 1992 to N351.9 million in 1991. The amount unloved in frauds in commercial banks alone rose to N1, 377.15 million in 1993, whereas the actual expected loss rose from N64.8 million to N241.0 million.
Fraud, in banks is clearly unacceptably something’s drastic ought to be done to gently stem the tide in view of its image implications for the banking industry and the adverse effects it will have on the economy. The study emerges in response to this development. In carrying out this research work, questionnaires were distributed to the respondents for their reactions. Equally oral interviews were also carried out and some texts written by eminent scholars were consulted. The researcher believed all these would give enough information for a sound report. This study therefore seeks to identify the causes and effects of book fraud. After analyzing the returned 25 questionnaire distributed to the staff of Afribank Nigeria PLC Enugu, the following findings were made:
1. No internal control system is 100% errors proof but the internal control system of banks can be designed to make the perpetration of fraud difficult.
2. Non-periodic review of work by bank management gives loophole and the tendency to commit fraud in the industry.
3. The law enforcement agencies of the countries fail to deal seriously with the bank fraud sters apprehended and handed over to them.
Based on these, the following recommendation were made:
1. The use of close circuit television surveillance should be commencing in all banks.
2. Bank should ensure that computer operator’s passwords are kept in safe hands when there is movement of Alfred staff.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEMS
1.3 PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
1.4 RESEARCH QUESTIONS
1.5 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
1.6 SCOPE AND LIMITATION
2.0 LITERATURE REVIEW
2.1 MAJOR CAUSES OF BANK FRAUD
2.1.0 INSTITUTIONAL CAUSES OF FRAUD
VOLUME OF WORK
NUMBER OF STAFF
NATURE OF SERVICE
INADEQUATE / LACK OF STAFF TRAINING
POOR SECURITY ARRANGEMENT FOR DOCUMENTS
USE OF SOPHISTICATED ACCOUNTING MACHINES
LAPSES IN THE MANAGEMENT
CONTROL SYSTEM OF CORPORATE CUSTOMERS
2.1.1 ENVIRONMENTAL / SOCIAL CAUSES
PERSONALITY PROFILE OF DRAMATIZE PERSONNEL
SLOW LEGAL PROCESS
LACK OF EFFECTIVE DETERRENT PUNISHMENT
2.2 EFECTS OF BANK FRAUDS
2.2.0 EFFECTS OF BANK FRAUD ON THE BANKING INDUSTRY
CRISES OF CONFIDENCE AMONG BANK CUSTOMERS
2.2.1 EFFECTS ON OUR ECONOMY
2.3 NATURE AND TYPES OF FRAUD
2.3.0 ADVANCED FEE FRAUD
2.3.1 CHEQUE KITTING FRAUD
2.3.2 ACCOUNT OPENING FRAUD
2.3.4 MONEY TRANSFER FRAUD
2.3.5 LOANS FRAUD
2.3.6 COUNTERFEIT SECURITIES
2.3.7 CHEQUE FRAUD
2.3.8 MONEY LAUNDERING FRAUD
2.3.9 CLEARING FRAUD
2.3.10 COMPUTER FRAUD
2.3.11 TELEX FRAUD
3.0 RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
3.1 AREA OF STUDY
3.3 SAMPLE SIZE
3.4 SAMPLING METHOD
3.5 INSTRUMENT FOR DATA COLLECTION
3.5.2 PERSONAL INTERVIEW
3.5.3 SECONDARY DATA
3.6 ANALYTICAL TOOLS
4.0 DATA ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION OF RESULT
4.1 ANALYSIS OF OPERATIONAL QUESTIONS
5.0 SUMMARY OF FINDINGS
5.2 OTHER CONTROL MEASURES
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word. Note: For Computer or Programming related works, some works might not contain source codes
CITE THIS WORK
(2014, 10). Bank Fraud And Its Effects On Nigerian’s Economy (a Case Study Of Afribank Nigeria Pic Enugu).. Afribary.com. Retrieved 10, 2014, from https://afribary.com/read/3770/bank-fraud-and-its-effects-on-nigerian-rsquo-s-economy-a-case-study-of-afribank-nigeria-pic-enugu-4728
"Bank Fraud And Its Effects On Nigerian’s Economy (a Case Study Of Afribank Nigeria Pic Enugu)." Afribary.com. 10 2014. 2014. 10 2014 <https://afribary.com/read/3770/bank-fraud-and-its-effects-on-nigerian-rsquo-s-economy-a-case-study-of-afribank-nigeria-pic-enugu-4728>.
"Bank Fraud And Its Effects On Nigerian’s Economy (a Case Study Of Afribank Nigeria Pic Enugu).." Afribary.com. Afribary.com, 10 2014. Web. 10 2014. <https://afribary.com/read/3770/bank-fraud-and-its-effects-on-nigerian-rsquo-s-economy-a-case-study-of-afribank-nigeria-pic-enugu-4728>.
"Bank Fraud And Its Effects On Nigerian’s Economy (a Case Study Of Afribank Nigeria Pic Enugu).." Afribary.com. 10, 2014. Accessed 10, 2014. https://afribary.com/read/3770/bank-fraud-and-its-effects-on-nigerian-rsquo-s-economy-a-case-study-of-afribank-nigeria-pic-enugu-4728.
- Related Works
- Problems Of Obtaining Bank Loans In Nigerian Banks
- Management Crisis In Banking Industry (a Case Study Of Some Distressed Bank)
- Minimization Of Bank Fraud In Nigeria Commercial Banks
- Banking Inspection And Examination As An Aid To Effective Bank Management In Uba Enugu
- The Role Of Merchant And Commercial Bank In Financing Small Scale Industries In Nigeria
- A Critical Analysis Of Revenue And Expenditure Of Local Government Administration In Nigeria (case Study Of Mbanabo North Local Government)
- An Evaluation Of The Impact Of Management Crisis In Nigeria Financial Institutions
- Security Market As A Source Of Finance For The Public And Private Sectors In Nigeria
- Crisis Management In Banking Industry
- The Role And Importance Of Central Bank Of Nigeria In The Prevention Of Bank Failure In Nigeria.