Profit maximization is the pursuit of every business organization. Profit itself is the excess of revenue over expenditure. To obtain this profit, increase in selling price of the product or reduction in the cost of production is inevitable. Since excessive price increase is dreaded by the public, it becomes necessary to achieve the business objective through controlling the cost of production of each product.
This project, therefore, is undertaken to give actual background on cost control measure, the need for the control, cost items to be controlled and affect of uncontrolled cost of production on the organization, using the West Africa Milk Company PLC. Lagos as a case study.
According to the study, uncontrolled costs could lead to higher operating costs, lower profit margins and dissatisfaction among shareholders.
Using observation, interview and questionnaire method, it was found that cost could be controlled in the different manufacturing areas such as material, labour and overheads.
Also discussed was the benefit of production cost control to the industry under study. The major findings was that company has not been able to produce to its installed capacity, it employed a system of remuneration that guaranteed a fixed salary and its production budget was based on the average performance of previous year results.
However, the use of standard costing has been advocated because it will avail the company the opportunity of company actual cost with standard in order to check necessary variances and also to make for easier interpretation of management reports.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Title page II
Approval page III
Table of contents IX
1.1 Introduction 1
1.2 Statement of problem 7
1.3 Statement of objectives 8
1.4 Significance of the study 9
1.5 Scope and limitation 10
1.6 Definitions of terms 11
Literature Review 13
2.1 Material Control 14
2.2 Labour Control 22
2.3 Overhead Control 30
2.4 Cost Control 33
2.4.1 Budgetary Control 33
2.5 Standard Costing 49
2.6 Variance and Variance Analysis. 59
3.1 Research Deign and Methodology 74
3.2 Sources of Data 74
3.3 Measurement Instrument 76
3.4 Instrument Design 77
3.5 Instrument Administration 79
3.6 Instrument Distribution
3.7 Reliability of Data 82
3.8 Data Analysis Method. 83
4.1 Data Analysis 84
4.2 Costing System 84
4.3 Material costing 86
4.4 Labour Control
4.5 Overhead Control 91
4.6 Budgetary Control. 91
5.1 Findings 96
5.2 Recommendations 100
5.3 Conclusion 102
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word. Note: For Computer or Programming related works, some works might not contain source codes
CITE THIS WORK
(2014, 10). Cost Control In Managing Industries: A Case Study Of West Africa Milk Company Plc., Lagos.. ProjectStoc.com. Retrieved 10, 2014, from https://projectstoc.com/read/3686/cost-control-in-managing-industries-a-case-study-of-west-africa-milk-company-plc-lagos-6536
"Cost Control In Managing Industries: A Case Study Of West Africa Milk Company Plc., Lagos." ProjectStoc.com. 10 2014. 2014. 10 2014 <https://projectstoc.com/read/3686/cost-control-in-managing-industries-a-case-study-of-west-africa-milk-company-plc-lagos-6536>.
"Cost Control In Managing Industries: A Case Study Of West Africa Milk Company Plc., Lagos.." ProjectStoc.com. ProjectStoc.com, 10 2014. Web. 10 2014. <https://projectstoc.com/read/3686/cost-control-in-managing-industries-a-case-study-of-west-africa-milk-company-plc-lagos-6536>.
"Cost Control In Managing Industries: A Case Study Of West Africa Milk Company Plc., Lagos.." ProjectStoc.com. 10, 2014. Accessed 10, 2014. https://projectstoc.com/read/3686/cost-control-in-managing-industries-a-case-study-of-west-africa-milk-company-plc-lagos-6536.
- Related Works
- Small Scale Industries As A Development Strategy In Nigeria A Case Study Of Enugu State
- The Business Of Financial Ratios As A Tool Of Evaluating The Performance Of Companies For Investment Decision
- A Critical Review Of Accounting System In Nigeria Insurance Industry A Case Study Of Industrial And General Insurance Company Ltd
- Community Banking Problems And Prospects (a Casse Study Of Ekulu Community Bank In Enugu State)
- Cost Accounting And Its Application To Management Planning, Control And Decision Making (a Case Study Of Nigeria Bottling Company Kaduna)
- The Effects Of Credit Management On Liquidity Position Of A Manufacturing Company (a Case Study Of Nigerian Breweries Plc, Enugu State)
- Effect Of Computer Ont Eh Accounting Profession (a Case Study Of Asaba Aluminium Company Delta State
- Liquidity Problems In Commercial Banks In Enugu State
- Effective Implementation Of Organization Policies And Producers In Nigeria Business (a Case Study Of First Bank Of Nigeria Plc Enugu)
- The Impact Of Exchange Rate Fluctuation On International Trade (export) In Nigeria