Determining the type of database to be deployed for a project is a combination of access requirements and preference. In an effort to make an informed decision on which to deploy, the application engineer should be familiar with the types of databases as well as the pros/cons of each. In this entry we will consider two general types of databases and explore some of their applications and key points in the decision cycle when faced with a project.
A "flat file" database allows the user to specify data attributes (columns, datatypes, etc) for one table at a time, storing those attributes independantly of an application. dBase III and Paradox were good examples of this kind of database in the CP/M and MS-DOS environments, and the original FileMaker was a good Mac O/S example.
A relational database takes this "flat file" approach several logical steps further, allowing the user to specify information about multiple tables and the relationships between those tables, and often allowing much more declarative control over what rules the data in those tables must obey (constraints).
TABLE OF CONTENTS
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1.1BACKGROUND OF STUDY
1.3PURPOSE OF STUDY
1.4IMPORTANCE OF STUDY
1.5DEFINITION OF TERMS
1.6ASSUMPTION OF STUDY
DATA TRANSFER OPERATIONS OF THE FLAT FILE DATABASE SYSTEM
2.1 THE CONCEPT OF RELATIONAL DATABASE SYSTEM
3.0 FLAT FILE DATABASE SYSTEM VS RELATIONAL DATABASE SYSTEM
3.1 FLAT FILE DATABASE
3.2 RELATIONAL DATABASE
3.3 SELECTING A DATABASE: FLAT FILE VS. RELATIONAL
4.0 COMPARING THE TWO DATABASE TYPES
4.1 ADVANTAGES OF A DATABASE
4.2 ADVANTAGES OF THE FLAT FILE DATABASE SYSTEM
5.0 CONCLUSION AND REFERENCES
5.1LIMITATION OF STUDY
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word. Note: For Computer or Programming related works, some works might not contain source codes
CITE THIS WORK
(2012, 11). Flat File Database System Vs Relational Database System.. Afribary.com. Retrieved 11, 2012, from https://afribary.com/read/284/flat-file-database-system-vs-relational-database-system
"Flat File Database System Vs Relational Database System." Afribary.com. 11 2012. 2012. 11 2012 <https://afribary.com/read/284/flat-file-database-system-vs-relational-database-system>.
"Flat File Database System Vs Relational Database System.." Afribary.com. Afribary.com, 11 2012. Web. 11 2012. <https://afribary.com/read/284/flat-file-database-system-vs-relational-database-system>.
"Flat File Database System Vs Relational Database System.." Afribary.com. 11, 2012. Accessed 11, 2012. https://afribary.com/read/284/flat-file-database-system-vs-relational-database-system.
- Related Works
- Design And Implementation Of Computerized Budget Analysis System (case Study Of Enugu State Ministry Of Finance)
- Design And Implementation Of A Computerized Information System For A Human Right Based Organisation
- Development Of A Multi-drug Inventory System For A General Hospital
- Design And Implementation Of Computerized Tourism Information System A Case Study Of Enugu State Tourism Board
- Design And Implementation Of A Computerized Point Of Sales System (a Case Study Of Golden Toast Enugu)
- Smart Knowledge Provider
- Design And Implementation Of A Software For Examination Supervision Scheduling For An Institution Of Higher Learning A Case Study Of Imt Enugu
- Personal Authentication Using 3-d Finger Geometry
- Design And Implementation Of Webshop Mail Webshop Site
- Design And Implementaion Of Computerilized Livestock Management Information System