Right from the beginning, one needs to realize that the civil service is a key instrument to the survival of any governmental setting and indeed national development. In a general sense, the civil service provides the semblance of government. Thus, the effectiveness and productivity of any government is largely determined by the efficiency of the civil service. As the administrative and technical support to the governing apparatus, the civil service remains the only viable mechanism for policy initiation or formulation, policy advice and policy implementation. Aptly political leadership without administrative and technical support is power in a vacuum; and administration without political leadership is only tidiness in stagnation. Therefore, it simply means that the civil service is a sine-Qua-non in any political system because it constitutes' the engine of development.
In Nigeria the civil service which evolved from the colonial era has experienced various reforms geared towards repositioning the service for effective service delivery and national development through improved productivity.
This research study is based on Edo State Civil Service and shall among other things determine;
i.Whether civil servants perform below or above the desired standard.
ii.Whether productivity is really declining in the civil service.
iii.What the causes of poor productivity are in the civil service.
iv.The measures to be taken in order to arrest the situation.
While carrying out the research, the data collection method adopted was the questionnaires, the statistical tool used was chi-square. A total of one hundred questionnaires were distributed out of which twenty was returned.
The findings, recommendations and conclusions from the research study indicated what has been existing in the Edo state civil service, what needs to be done and what best should be put in place in Edo state civil service to improve the productivity of civil servants in the state for optimum performance.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of content
1.1Background of the study
1.2Statement of the problem
1.3Purpose of the study
1.4Significance of the study
1.7Scope of the study
1.8Limitations of the study
1.9Definition of term
REVIEW OF RELATED LITERATURE
2.1CONCEPT OF PRODUCTIVITY
2.2 ECONOMIC VIEW OF PRODUCTIVITY
2.3 CONDITIONS FOR IMPROVING PRODUCTIVITY IN THE CIVIL SERVICES
2.4 FACTORS INHIBITING PERFORMANCE
2.5 STRATEGIES FOR IMPROVING PRODUCTIVITY IN NIGERIA CIVIL SERVICE
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
3.2AREA OF THE STUDY
3.3POPULATION OF THE STUDY
3.4SAMPLE SIZE DETERMINATION
3.5METHOD FOR DATA COLLECTION
3.6INSTRUMENT FOR DATA COLLECTION
3.7VALIDATION OF THE INSTRUMENT.
3.8RELIABILITY OF THE INSTRUMENT
3.1METHOD OF DATA ANALYSIS
DATA PRESENTATION AND ANALYSIS
4.1PRESENTATION / ANALYSIS OF DATA
DISCUSSION, RECOMMENDATIONS AND CONCLUSION:
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word. Note: For Computer or Programming related works, some works might not contain source codes
CITE THIS WORK
(2014, 04). Strategies For Improving Productivity In Nigeria Civil Service (a Case Study Of Edo State Civil Service).. ProjectStoc.com. Retrieved 04, 2014, from https://projectstoc.com/read/2026/strategies-for-improving-productivity-in-nigeria-civil-service-a-case-study-of-edo-state-civil-service
"Strategies For Improving Productivity In Nigeria Civil Service (a Case Study Of Edo State Civil Service)." ProjectStoc.com. 04 2014. 2014. 04 2014 <https://projectstoc.com/read/2026/strategies-for-improving-productivity-in-nigeria-civil-service-a-case-study-of-edo-state-civil-service>.
"Strategies For Improving Productivity In Nigeria Civil Service (a Case Study Of Edo State Civil Service).." ProjectStoc.com. ProjectStoc.com, 04 2014. Web. 04 2014. <https://projectstoc.com/read/2026/strategies-for-improving-productivity-in-nigeria-civil-service-a-case-study-of-edo-state-civil-service>.
"Strategies For Improving Productivity In Nigeria Civil Service (a Case Study Of Edo State Civil Service).." ProjectStoc.com. 04, 2014. Accessed 04, 2014. https://projectstoc.com/read/2026/strategies-for-improving-productivity-in-nigeria-civil-service-a-case-study-of-edo-state-civil-service.
- Related Works
- Contribution Of Community Banks To Rural Economic Development. A Case Study Of Ikpoba-okha And Egor Local Government Area’s Of Edo State, Nigeria
- The Role Of Social Responsibility In Corporate Performance
- The Uses Of Committees And Group Meetings In Enhancing Decision Making In Nigeria Public Service, (a Case Study Of University Basic Education Board, Anambra State)
- Functions And Achievements Of Government Support Agencies In The Development Of Enterprenuership In Enugu State. (a Case Study Of National Directorate Of Employment (n.d.e)
- Bureaucracy And Efficiency In Nigerian Public Enterprise: (a Case Study Of Nepa Onitsha Branch.)
- Strategies For Promoting Productivity In Civil Service (a Case Of Enugu State Civil Service Commission)
- A Comparative Analysis Between Public And Private Sectors
- Good Governance In The Public Sector Of Nigeria (a Study Of The Nigerian Public Service)
- Federal Character Principle And Its Implication On Manpower Utilization: An Analysis Of Recruitment Exercise At The Federal Capital Development Authority (fcda)
- Rural Development - A Means Of Combating Rural/urban Migration (a Case Study Of Njikoka Local Government)