MEANING OF THE LAW OF EVIDENCE
The Law of Evidence is an aspect of procedural law which relates to proof of facts before the court, how facts may be proved, who may prove, and what facts may or may not be proved in a court of law.
WHAT IS EVIDENCE
There are various definitions of evidence. But there is no universal definition of evidence. Each of the definitions is open to one criticism or the other and as such none of them attains the status of universal acceptance.
Firstly, according to Taylor, evidence is all legal means, exclusive of mere argument, which tend to prove or disprove any matter of fact; the truth of which is submitted to judicial investigation” Secondly, according to Nokes, judicial evidence consisting of facts which are legally admissible, and the legal means of attempting to prove such facts.
Also according to Philpson evidence means the testimony, whether oral, documentary or real, which may be legally received in order to prove or disprove some facts is dispute.
Aguda defined evidence as the means by which facts are proved but excluding inferences and arguments.
Evidence or judicial evidence is the means by which facts are proved before courts.
In FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA V. MIKE, evidence was defined as follow “in literal sense, evidence is a means of proving or disproving an unknown or disputed.”
NATURE AND SCOPE OF LAW OF EVIDENCE
The law of evidence is both substantive and procedural law which revolves round civil and criminal proceedings.
SOURCES OF NIGERIAN LAW OF EVIDENCE
Order and download work to continue
Disclaimer: Note this academic material is intended as a guide for your academic research work. Do not copy word for word. Note: For Computer or Programming related works, some works might not contain source codes
CITE THIS WORK
(2015, 05). Law Of Evidence.. ProjectStoc.com. Retrieved 05, 2015, from https://projectstoc.com/read/6203/law-of-evidence-9632
"Law Of Evidence." ProjectStoc.com. 05 2015. 2015. 05 2015 <https://projectstoc.com/read/6203/law-of-evidence-9632>.
"Law Of Evidence.." ProjectStoc.com. ProjectStoc.com, 05 2015. Web. 05 2015. <https://projectstoc.com/read/6203/law-of-evidence-9632>.
"Law Of Evidence.." ProjectStoc.com. 05, 2015. Accessed 05, 2015. https://projectstoc.com/read/6203/law-of-evidence-9632.
- Related Works
- Abortion And The Legality Questions: A Comparative Study Of Nigerian And Australian Laws
- Customary Law Rule Of Primogeniture And Its Discriminating Effects On Women’s Inheritance Right In Nigeria: A Call For Reformation
- Explanation On Hearsay Evidence
- A Critical Appraisal Of The Doctrine Of Corporate Personality Under The Nigerian Law
- Examining The Relevance Of International Humanitarian Law To The Development Of Multinational Forces In The North East Of Nigeria
- A Comparative Analysis Of The Intestate Rules Of Succession And The Testate Rules Of Succession In Nigeria
- A Critique Of African Customary Law In Nigeria As It Relates To Civil Wrongs And Crimes
- Does The Law Of Sedition Infringe On The Rights Of Freedom Of Expression And The Press? Discuss With Appropriate Cases And Reference
- Is Criminal Law Necessary
- Critical Appraisal On Opinion Evidence